Tuesday 10 February 2009

Retention

I have spent the day doing a match reports for a number of matches and chatting with Lance Wicks. The subject of retention came up.

In the USJA Coaching manual level 1 they lay out the coach’s goal and I quote...

“Regardless of your coaching aim, your primary goal is to recruit and retain students.”

Dr Chris Dewey

Dr Dewey is worth looking up if you are serious about coaching judo (http://www.msstate.edu/dept/geosciences/people/dewey/index.htm)
So I thought today I would talk about retention and area I have dealt with in marketing but is often over looked in coaching.

What keeps players coming back for more Judo lessons?

Now there are many different elements to this, but today I want to raise a series of questions for you to think about and then discuss them in the next few weeks.


You need to understand why are people trying judo and why your club?
Is it to build confidence, self defence, friends do it, do they choose your club because of recommendation, nearest best ad in the Yellow Pages?
Are they being forced or badgered in trying it by friends or family?
How do you engage them?
What is the best way to communicate with members?
You can provide them with information through a mixture of traditional and digital media (have a look at Lance Wicks Coaching Digital Natives Webinar):

Newsletters?
Emails?
Notice board?
Websites?
Social networking online?



Do you understand why people in YOUR club do judo?

How do you satisfy their needs?
What do they like or dislike about the club?

Have you ever asked for their opinions?

I know this sounds very marketing orientated – that is after all one of my jobs – but it is the difference between running a club as a hobby and coaching as a profession.

The BJA has a retention and recruitment drive on – but is basing it in clubs and it will be the same old clubs getting involved rather than locating areas that have no club and employing coaches to run them.

Why is it that when covering classes do I get asked where I teach because they enjoyed my lessons more than the usual coach – perhaps I inject more fun, I might not be as strict or I might just understand my audience better.

Membership acquisition ( recruitment) and retention are the heart of a Judo community, the BJA have a 50% turnover in membership – is that acceptable? What is your participation turn over?

I have ideas on the whole process based on years of Marketing and working with membership schemes and organisations. Some of these I hope to share in the future but if you have an issue on retention or recruitment let me know and let’s see if I can help.

Marc

No comments:

Post a Comment