Thursday 12 February 2009

First Impressions Count


I have been trying to get my son to join a new swimming club, on four separate occasions I have called and e-mailed their contacts over a 3 week period, and yet I have had no response – even a sorry we don’t take new members at present....if it wasn’t for the location I would be going somewhere else.

Contrast this with a Chinese I went to on Friday a lunch time I was met at the door, directed to a table and ask if I was in a hurry – as they had a quick lunch menu or whether I could take my time and order off the main lunch menu. Within second they had established my needs.

Even supermarkets have greeters helping shoppers find trollies information etc, so why when I go to visit Dojos in the UK and abroad am I often greeted by blank faces, or left stood waiting for up to 15 minutes before someone says hello?

When looking at player acquisition and retention we must consider first impression. A judo club is part of the service industry and you should treat everyone who come into your Dojo or class as a potential new student. So how can we make this a positive experience?

Have a designated greeter – could be a player on the mat, a parent – who when somebody new comes in, they go and say hello and introduce themselves and find out about why they have come. Try and agree a time scale – within 2 minutes.

When someone enquires – do you take details? Do you have an information pack or sheet on the club – training times fees etc. It could include a “What is Judo” sheet, a bit about your clubs history and instructors.

Does anyone follow up the enquiry – a phone call or email to say thanks for coming to see us.

Now these are not difficult to implement but they show a club cares, and if you get the right feeling from the moment your walk in then the rest is easy.

So do you understand the expectations of your potential members and do you meet and exceed them?

So next time you go to your club try and have a look at it with the eyes of someone who hasn’t been before ....Is it welcoming? Is it easy to find? Would I if I wanted to send my child to Judo at your club are you easy to deal with?

I sometimes feel we forget that Judo is now a business and any people can do the judo but we shouldn’t forget the business.

No comments:

Post a Comment