Thursday 2 April 2009

Non Fomral Learning

I sit at a desk tonight as I type this, having spent two days at Bath University on the EJU Level 4 coshing course. This 3 year block route course is the only of its kind in Europe. An extensive course on coaching Judo at an Elite level.

http://www.bath.ac.uk/sports/foundation/judo/index.html

Over the past two days we have been discussing how coaches learn. I have been looking at a concept of non-formal learning – the discussion, experiences and reflective practices that allow a coach to develop, where there is no formal structure or aim.

Do you as a coach reflect and keep a diary or note book of what you do well and can improve?

I suppose that this Blog is a way of me expressing idea that I haven’t always formulated as part of my coaching philosophy. Any one reading this could consider it to be non formal learning – as long as you discuss the idea.

I find it interesting that many sports NGB’s don’t have a formal CPD programmes, the BJA in Britain definitely don’t. But they are a bit Jurassic in their approach. They don’t recognise discussion and reading a form of development, they are non formal learning if you start to act on the information and actively engage with the subject. However it is non-formal learning that they try and promote as part of their paid courses discussion groups, break out groups, work in pairs and think about ...etc.

Maybe I am bias as the BJA send their staff on the EJU level 4 and 5 courses but don’t allow coaches to carry the qualification on their coaching licence – as it is not recognised by the BJA, but they will acknowledge it for coaching revalidation.

Now when you have stopped laughing just ask yourself how good is your coaching, and when was the last time you consider what you do well and why it works or what you could improve on and how you could do that.

I personally have a couple of coaches who help mentor me and discuss classes and incidents. I find these inform feedback sessions and mentoring invaluable. I think every coach should be able to chat and develop ideas. Those discussions should be suitable to note down and put in your coaching portfolio.

Just a thought for the day

No comments:

Post a Comment